Monday 15 April 2013

10 A Day Challenge


I don't particular enjoy marking. There, I said it. Maybe it's the sheer volume of words or the repetition of answers. Whatever it is I do often dread sitting down, going through pupils' books, reading and correcting and providing truly meaningful feedback. And, if I'm going to be very honest, I often find myself getting distracted by other things, namely, Twitter, Premiership Fantasy Football and Spotify. This means that I am often falling behind with pupils' exercise books. It usually gets to the point where I will need to put aside three days of a holiday to catch up. This is no fun. Surely there must be another way? Welcome to the 10 A Day Challenge.......

The 'challenge' is to mark 10 books a day, everyday, Monday - Saturday (I try not to work on a Sunday - day of rest and all that). A grand total of 60 books per week. Now, using my rather limited mathematical brain, if i teach 200 pupils (which I do) that means their books will be marked, on average, every 3 weeks. This seems quite reasonable when coupled with the ongoing verbal feedback the pupils get during lessons. Also, the feedback will be more meaningful and constructive as I won't become bored and start to drift off (I hope). Anyhow, I now need to go and consume one of my 10 a day.....

Ps - I drafted this post about a week ago. I then read a blog post by @kenradical re: the new curriculum. Whilst reading I noticed he had written a post entitled '10 A Day - making marking manageable and achievable'. You can read it here. It's actually more succinct than my tentative ramblings but 'great' minds and all that..........

No comments:

Post a Comment